Search This Blog

10 January 2012

What I Have Tasted in Southeast US, 3rd part

And finally, food from the South...

Y finalmente, la comida del Sur...

These are hush puppies -cornbread balls- and no, they were not my meal, only one of the included sides. They are very good!

Esto son hush puppies (una especie de buñuelos fritos de maíz con cebolla) y no, no son el plato principal, tan solo una de las guarniciones que incluyen. ¡Están muy buenos!



And here are Hyman's Traditional Shrimp and Grits -I wrote about grits in this other post- with bacon and cheese, it also includes gravy. I took them at Hyman's in Charleston. I know, my fellow compatriots will be scandalised at the "crime" of such a mix, but even if it also surprised my Spanish taste it was not bad at all, though it was too heavy for my European-sized stomach to finish it.

Y aquí están las gambas con puré de maíz -el famoso grits del que hablé aquí- con bacon y queson, también lleva salsa de carne. Los tomé en Hyman en Charleston. Lo sé, mis compatriotas se van a escandalizar ante semejante crimen de mezclas, pero aunque también sorprendió a mi paladar español, no estaba malo, aunque era demasiado grande para mi estómago tamaño europeo.



And here is a fantastic breakfast from cajun country with its typical beignets, that you will find all around New Orleans.

Y he aquí un fantástico desayuno de la zona cajun con sus típicos beignets, que en Nueva Orleans encontraréis por todas partes.



Spanish and French history of Louisiana is obvious in its cuisine, specially in dishes like gumbo (a soup) or jambalaya (remind of paella thoug very different). I loved both of them though I would advise against having jambalaya in a sandwich or wrap!

La historia española y francesa de Louisiana es plenamente palpable en la cocina, sobretodo en platos como  el gumbo ( una sopa) y la jambalaya (recuerda a la paella aunque es muy diferente). me encantaron ambos, pero por favor, ¡¡no toméis la jambalaya en un sándwich o en un wrap!!

Strange mix: jambalaya wrap

No comments:

Post a Comment