Search This Blog

31 July 2011

A Week in Tuscany: general ideas & info

One of the most beautiful places in the world, with plenty of art, gogeous landscapes and villages, good weather-better to go in spring or fall- and great food and wine! What else could be better than spending a week here?

Hmmmm, spending 2. :)

I will be posting my suggestions for an itinerary, based on what I did myself which turned out to be a very good experience: First,  I would suggest finding a beautiful small town or village to stay -or two, depending on how much of a driving lover you are- rent a car and make day trips from there and then spending  2 or 3 nights in Florence -get rid of the car as you arrive there. My option was Colle di Val d'Elsa, its old town is located on the top of a small mountain -you can actually take an elevator to get up there- which has a lot to see and great restaurants.
Colle di Val d'Elsa
 I stayed at La Vecchia Cartiera (in the modern town) and recommend it. It is not expensive and has a good price /quality relationship.It has a lot of history in it. Breakfast is good enough to get energy for the day and there is a good and cheap restaurant in front of it which is great for a quick dinner when you are so tired that you don't feel like going up to the old town. From Colle di Val d'Elsa, everything except for Lucca and Pisa is at a reasonable distance for a day trip.

I would suggest to fly to Firenze -more centrally located for the route- or Pisa, pick up a car at the airport and start from there.

In my itinerary you will be visiting Siena, Monteriggioni, Montepulciano, Pienza, S. Quirico d'Orcia, Bagno Vignoni, Abadia di S.Attimo, Montalcino, Arezzo, Cortona, Lucca, Pisa, Volterra, San Gimigniano and Florence of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment